Sunday, January 30, 2011

Conservancy - Bush in Winter

Been spending most of my studio time in the cellar learning to use a new miter saw. It is a great improvement over the older model we had. Cuts smoothly and quietly. Has a laser light. Is compound and slides. I've made some frames with good results.

So after almost 3 weeks, today I did take a quick look at the 2nd in the Bush series, winter. I put in some distant trees, considering color and value. I have been working on some small gold leaf on wood paintings for a show in February. The Judith Klein Gallery in New Bedford is taking one or two paintings on the theme of love. More on that tomorrow.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Conservancy/ Bush in Winter

Now that I have seen the way the bush will fill the board, I am beginning with the far ground color and a base for the near ground. Hey! Maybe I could be an abstract painter. LOL

Monday, January 10, 2011

Conservancy/ Bush in Winter

Now that we are in the deep of winter and the snow has begun to accumulate, I have revisited the idea of painting the Conservancy Bush in 4 seasons. I had envisioned all of the bare branches dressed in snow and ice. This has not happened (yet). What surprised me was the bright yellow of the branches. But most of the bush is lost in the tangle of background growth. As a result, I have decided to bring the view up much closer and have the base of the bush fill the frame. This might actually make for a more interesting series. Rather than a duplicate of the point of view, a change in composition as well as a change in the season will be the approach. On the left is a sketch of the proposed work. On the right is the painting, oil on board, 40" x 30", with a rough layout of the bush.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Put up the crown molding. The board was torqued or warped and it was difficult, indeed, to mount. Add the baseboard and fill the nail holes.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Use cove molding in the boxes. I think we are channeling Frank Lloyd Wright.
Trim out the columns and install the mantel.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Wayne cut the hold for the bookcase, removed the old pipes and boxed in the case. We put fireproof board over the firebox, taped and plastered the wall. Then we carried an 8' MDF board that weighs more than a Mac truck into the house. Cut a piece to mark the height of the mantel.

Monday, January 3, 2011

So the first thing is to create a huge hole in the wall when the old insert is removed. The new firebox is much larger. We've decided not to use the marble surround. Instead, we will build a new mantel and open up a space for a bookcase.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

All painting is on hold while we remove this fireplace insert, replace it, and build a new mantel. We have to carefully remove the marble surround and the kick out marble on the hearth. We haven't firmed up plans enough to know if we will reuse everying. And the new insert will be flush to the wall requiring replacement of marble on the hearth.